Melting Mutant Face (half-head)

       Share on Twitter

I’ve always been a fan of mutants/deformities, and that was the inspiration for this piece.

The figure was originally sculpted in clay.  Ping pong balls are what you see used as placeholders for the eyes during the sculpting process.

The cast was made using pottery plaster.  Due to a poor casting job, I had several pieces of my mold break apart when I was cleaning the clay out of it.  I salvaged the pieces and attempted to glue them back into place before pouring the latex, but the epoxy repelled the latex, and left me with a number of holes and blemishes when I pulled the mask out after the latex had dried (which you can see in some of the pictures above, particularly around the eye areas).

I did my best to manually (and painstakingly!) apply thin layers of latex with a brush to seal any problem areas.  It was far from perfect, but I was hoping that the paint job would cover any major flaws.

Before painting, I made several different color concept sketches by layering different coloring options over the picture of my final clay mold in Photoshop.  You can see the one that I finally decided on above.

My final paint job was done using acrylic paint thinned out with 99% isopropyl alcohol.  The end result was a little more “green” than I’d liked (hoped for a duller bluish/gray tone), but considering this was my cherry-popping experience in anything even remotely involving sculpting, casting, OR painting, it could’ve gone much worse.


This entry was posted in Creative. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>